Friday, March 25, 2011

A Little Bit of Everything . . .


Here is a before and after picture of the new spice cabinet door in its home . . .
 
Before . . .

 And after . . .


 
 
Looking good - and I really love the punched tin backsplash!

A cute picture of my little grandson man.
With that hat, he looks like he is prepping for his upcoming artsy/music career.
A budding Jason Mraz!

Last night I checked something off my 2011 to-do list.
I was a student at a cooking class.
It was oh-so fun.
I have been threatening to take a cooking class for years.
But I spend all of my time fretting about "what?"
What kind of class? What kind of food? What about the price?
Yikes!
That questions can become downright paralying!
I finally decided to just jump in with both feet and sign up for one that interested me.
Part of the frustration is - I know how to cook.
I think of myself as a fairly decent cook.
So I didn't want to waste my money one something that I didn't like or something that I already know how to make.
I looked around at a few websites for my area and finally decided on a pizza making class at Bobs Red Mill.
I have shopped at this place for years. I love their products, I love that they are local, I love their philosophy and approach to food and eating.
I know how to make pizza. I have done it for years.
But I thought - this is something that, although I already do it fairly well - maybe I can learn a few secrets that will make homemade pizza a little better.
Afterall - I don't know about you, but I don't have a pizza oven in my home kitchen! No matter how hard I try, I will never get my oven to reach the temperatures of a pizza oven.
I had so much fun in this class.
We watched - we asked questions - we sampled and sampled and sampled.
And I learned that I already do most everything right.
I learned a few new secrets as well.
But most of all -
in a world where I am always giving to my co-workers, or my children, or my students, or . . .
someone else -
It was really great to be the student. To be able to have someone else "fill my cup" up.
I am already looking for new classes to take.


We are almost into the 4th month of 2011. Have you tried something new or different? If so - what is it? 

No comments: