Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend Confessions

 Confession time -
My weekend didn't turn out quite like I had intended.
As you know from my last post, I was expecting to spend a good part of my weekend working on building inventory for upcoming shows.
Well . . .that didn't really happen.
Instead, I spent Friday night with my daughter shopping for wedding dresses.
I would post a picture - but her fiance may look and that would be bad luck.
And I, for one, am not going to be responsible for that.

I spent Saturday catching up on lots of chores that have been nagging at me.
My closet for one . . .
If you could see the donation pile setting in my entryway right now you would understand.

I painted . . .a little.
I think I spent 2 hours - I intended to spend about 6!
I went to my bunko group and ate and laughed and ate and laughed some more.
And we played the game - but let's face it.
The game is really just an excuse for a group of 12 of us - men and women - to get together and eat and laugh.
Mission accomplished!

I did get a nap on Sunday.
So I checked that goal off my list.
But it wasn't in my hammock. Too hot for that.

And I spent some valuable time with my family around the dinner table for Sunday dinner.

As you probably know from past posts - this is a pretty regular occurence for us.
And it seems to be even more important now that 2 of my 4 little birds have flown from the nest and are living on their own.

We had a great meal - my son's girlfriend is vegetarian - so I spread my wings and tried an all vegetarian meal.
OK - it wasn't ALL vegetarian. Since my parents were joining us I was kind and grilled up some chicken for those who weren't feeling adventurous.
But I didn't eat the chicken.

Since it is summer - it was actually really easy.
We had lentil burgers on sourdough rolls smothered in hummus. They were yummy!
And so simple.
We will be making those again.
And then we enjoyed some of summer's bounty . . .

Cantaloupe, peaches, blueberries and fresh basil.
Oh my - what a combination!
As pretty as the summer sun.

Fresh picked green beans straight out of the garden.
Drizzled with a bit of olive oil, some salt and fresh pepper.
Placed on a hot grill and . . .
Perfection.
3 packs worth.
We fought over the leftovers.


Ironic confession -
I do NOT like to eat tomatoes. At least not raw tomatoes.
I do love tomatoe sauce, salsa, and most dishes with cooked tomatoes.
But no raw tomatoes - NO!!!
And I have tried them - every single summer I try a few just "in case".
Nope! Still not buying it.
But I do love to grow them and can them and share them.
So I made a simple raw tomatoe salad for those that love them at the table.
Sliced cherry tomatoes (the variety is "super sweet"), drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, and fresh basil.
It was beautiful in the dish - and I really did want to like them because they were so pretty.
Those that ate them said they were delicious.
I'll take their word for it!



My husband missed the dinner this weekend. He was away looking at this . . .
But we will be back here at Oceanside over Labor Day weekend for the annual Labor Day art sale.
And while we are there, I'm sure I will get to see a sunset like this.
And walk in the sand. And feel the breeze. And smell the salt air. And listen to the waves crash. And feel my stress melt away.
And oh yeah . . .sell some art!

If you are on the Oregon Coast for the weekend - take a drive and come see me!
In the meantime - go eat some of the summer offerings while they are still here . . .

2 comments:

Giggles said...

0h my goodness the cantaloupe and tomato dishes look like works of art!! So pretty and yummy. Tomatoes are an acquired taste!!Never cared for them as a kid...but like them now... When we grew them I made a tomatoes and cucumber with thousand island dressing and fresh dill... They taste very creamy and I loved that! Not a thousand isl fan either!! Just a good combo.

I always feel good when I get those big jobs done...leaves a clear mind for art!! Sounds like a good weekend anyway. Nothing beats time with family...
It will be fun to see the wedding dress...down the road of course!!

Have a good week!

Hugs Giggles

Stacy Warner said...

Very nicce blog you have here