Friday, August 5, 2011

Looking with Fresh Eyes

 I have returned from my wonderful vacation with my friend Vicki -
I didn't go anywhere special.
I slept in my own bed every night and ate in my own kitchen/dining room - well at least some of the time.
But I did have a total break from my normal routine.
We It was great to have her visit from Canada. I look forward to her visits every year.
When she visits, it just feels so natural and comfortable.
We talk, we laugh, we do art, we solve the world's problems, we solve each other's parenting problems, we inspire and gain ideas for new things. . .
We went to the movies - like in a real theater with a big screen.  In fact we went to movies . . .TWICE!
We ate food at a Parisienne cafe, a Mexican restaurant, a Thai restaurant and even a local fast food place.
We went on field trips and to concerts.
We spent time pampering ourselves with massages and pedicures.
I coudn't have enjoyed myself any better if I had traveled somewhere.

Vicki is a fabulous photographer and I love when she visits-
she takes random pictures of things in my home and my yard.
I look at my house and my yard and I see all of the flaws -
the weeds in the garden, the dirty socks on the floor, the peeling paint on the deck, the places where something bumped against the wall and the paint in the living isn't perfect, the cobwebs . . .

And then she takes photos and shares them with me and I see it with fresh eyes.

I see the charm in the old bike I found at a garage sale years ago for $15 dollars.
I wanted a bike with a basket filled with flowers for a yard piece.
When I saw this bike, it wasn't as "vintage" as I had hoped, but the price was right and I figured it would work. I paid the man and he asked how I was going to restore it.
I told him my plan and he was not impressed . . .he fact, he was a bit disgusted.
It sat on the side of my house for several years, and we finally pulled it out (thanks Cierra), washed off the dirt and planted some flowers.
I love the way it looks.

My moon face man - I acquired him at a sale that we attended in Seattle a few years ago.
The artist makes these beautiful dolls and figures.
Usually when I think of "dolls", I think of . . .well - let's just say most dolls I would not feel a need to purchase and display in my home.
But these dolls . . .Yummy!
They all have enchanting faces and posable arms and legs.
This little guy has a head made out of a poppy-seed pod. His face is molded out of polymer clay.
I love him.
He is sitting on top of the world and looking out planning his next adventure.
OK - maybe not the world, but he is sitting on top of a hand-blown glass ball that looks as if a large tree is growing inside of it.
I saw the glass ball at a local shop and commented on how unique and beautiful it was about 5 years ago.
A little elf must have been listening - or maybe it was my daughter -
because it found it's way under our Christmas tree that year.
Both the ball and moon man are hanging from our light fixture above our dining room table.
Moon man likes to be in the center of the commotion. . .


The last time Vicki visited, we took a trip to the Anthropologie store.
Yes - they have beautiful clothes . . .but more than that - I love the way the store is decorated.
Their window displays and decor are total eye candy.
I snap pictures all over the store.
When we were there in November, they had the coolest garlands and mobiles hanging all over the store. They were made out of recycled colored paper cut in large circles and hanging on a thin string.
I came home and before the night was out I had made my own version. I used pages from vintage magazines and vintage postcards.
I tied the strings to a metal circle - the kind used to make dream catchers.
The mobile hangs in our living room and when the windows are open or the fan is on, it spins and dances.
I find myself staring at it sometimes, mesmerized with how it moves.

There are more adventures that I will post later -
but I have to say "Thank You Vicki" for helping me to look again with fresh eyes.

And now for a moment of personal marketing . . .
We will have a booth next weekend at the West Linn Arts in the Forest at Mary S. Young park in West Linn, Oregon.
It runs August 13th and 14th from 10:00 to 5:00 pm.
Great artists, entertainment, food - this is a good one!





1 comment:

Giggles said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous staycation!! Love the bike with flowers, I once did that with an old wheelbarrow. I planted impatients, it was so beautiful!! My friend Violette has a bike like that hanging off her art studio. So cool! Yes I think we have to look beyond the muck and mess at times!! I used to be a clean freak, I just don't have the energy for that nonsence anymore!! Waste of my creative time!!

Hugs Giggles