Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sun, Sand and Surf


We just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Oregon Coast. It was our annual Memorial Day Art Sale in Oceanside. The weather was not bad for this time of year. The days were gray, but the temperatures were mild. We experienced some low tides and were able to explore tide pools. We watched the waves crash and paragliders float through the sky. Magical.
We had a full house since almost the whole family came with us. Joining us was also our "surrogate" daughter. She recently lost her grandfather. I feel the ocean is one of the most healing locations when a person is trying to work out life's dilemmas or grieve the loss of a loved one. I shared with her my beloved rock that I sit on to think and meditate. It has special powers to heal. She wrote her grandfather a note in the sand to be carried away by the sea.

My girls and son strengthened their bonds over the weekend. They played together and laughed; we shared meals around the table and told stories; they jumped and even tried to fly. These are the moments that make motherhood worth it.
The weekend ended much too quickly. We concluded it by sharing a meal with some new friends. A wonderful couple commissioned me to create some art for their home. They asked if I could drop by to see what their wall color looked like. I agreed. When they learned that I had the whole family with us, they graciously insisted we all join them for lunch. We did. They opened their home. We entered as strangers and left as friends. It is a rare gift to meet people who are so warm and friendly, with no strings attached. They only wish to strengthen their lives by inviting others in. It was a wonderful lesson for all of us. Driving away, my daughter commented, "why aren't more people like that?" A good question indeed. I left there wanting to be more open, more accepting, and more inviting so that everyone I encounter will feel welcomed. It was a wonderful experience.
Oh . . .and the sale was great as well!
Our next sale is not until July - I'll post details as it gets closer.

No comments: