Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Aaahhhh!



A Lazy Susan - who says art work is just for the wall? Take it into the kitchen or use it on the table. Functional and fun!









This is my beach. This is where I go to regenerate. This is my sanctuary. I have been going to this beach since 1968. It is the beach which I measure all other beaches. I'm sure you have a place like this. . .I believe everyone needs a special escape pod.










At home, my escape pod is my studio. But when life hits that breakneck speed, and I feel like I just can't make it another day . . .this is where I go. I love to watch the storms in winter; I love to hear the waves constant rhythm; I love to smell the salt in the air.
Some of my best artwork is created at this beach. I walk through the door of our family beach house and my whole perspective changes. I feel the stress fall away and my creative brain jump starts.
And when I walk on the beach, I go back to my childhood and rock hunt. I can't help it. We used to look for agates - that was the treasure. Now it is sea glass and smooth stones. Sea glass is so hard to find now. I remember when we were kids, we thre the sea glass back - afterall, it was just glass. I mourn all the blue glass I tossed back. What was I thinking?
I love the look and feel of beach rocks - I have a whole collection of them. When I need to feel connected to the earth, I hold the rocks and rub them. There is power and magic in there simplicity.
Now for the advertisement portion of this post. At the end of the this month on the 25th of April I will participating in an Independent Sale called the Irvington Artisans Market. This is a show of some wonderful, talented and eclectic artisans. I participated in this last August and did some early Christmas shopping because of some of the wonderful, unique items that were there. This show will have the theme of Mother's Day. Yes - Mother's Day will be here before you know it and it would be wonderful to surprise your mom with something different - wouldn't it?
This show is held at the historic Irvinton Tennis Club in NE Portland. It is set in a wonderful old Portland neighborhood, in a great space. Check out the blogspot to sample a few of the participating artists and see all the details.
Come and purchase one of my new vases to put those Mother's Day flowers in, or a custom mirror or plaque with a special message to convey your gratitude for Mom. I hope to see you there.

No comments: