Thursday, March 4, 2010

An Oceanside Weekend













This last weeked the family spent a few nights on the Oregon Coast - we were blessed with mild temperatures and sunny skies. A truly soul-recharging weekend. The photos speak for themselves. My favorite is the first - a beautiful "painting" created by Mother Nature in sand, full of texture and organic content. Although you can't tell by the photo, it was changing as we watched it. There appeared to be some type of an air pocket (maybe a clam or some other creature) in the middle and the water from the wave that had just receded was filling the hole and bubbling out. We stood taking it in for several minutes.
While there I went to the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center (http://www.latimerquiltandtextile.com/) to look at the work of this woman and left there feeling inspired and regenerated. I bought her book - her approach to art is unique and beautiful. Having seen a clip of her on OPB's Oregon Art Beat, I was impressed with her unique style, and I had perused her blog and website - but nothing prepared me for the intensity of color and detail that we saw in person. She lives and works in Sisters, OR. and if I get brave - when I go to Sisters next fall for the Harvest Fest, I just may get brave and look her up and see if we can get together for a cup of tea. . .

No comments: