Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Words





I love words. I have always loved words. When I was young I would write short stories, and write in my journal, and write letters (remember those?). When I was older, thanks to a "helpful" college writing teacher, I lost confidence in my own written words. When I would read I found that I gained alot of inspiration and strength from others' words. Remember Richard Bach who wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusion? I practically had those books memorized. Or the Little Prince. That still remains one of my favorites.




For several years I kept a book full of interesting and uplifting quotes. I gathered them from all kinds of different places . . .movies, books, lectures, bumper stickers . . .Somewhere along the way, I stopped collecting my quotes. In fact, I lost my quote book altogether.





Over the last few years I have rediscovered the power of words again. I love to incorporate them into my art. Originally I started with just single words. Words like hope, dream, create, wish, imagine and more. But I wanted more - so I started adding phrases and then full quotes, poems, even lyrics from songs.





I collect quotes again. I have a wonderful handmade leather journal that I purchased from a local artist. I fill it with quotes, and poems, and words. I sketch ideas and I pull it out for inspiration. Friends send me wonderful quotes; family members call me with something they have heard or read. One day I received a text message that just had the words of a saying this person had seen. It was like a gift. People have given me books of inspirational quotes and sayings. The books are beautiful, but I find that I "feel" the words more if I copy my favorite ones into my quote journal. That way they become "mine".





I love to watch people get lost in the words as they look at the art pieces I have created. They will stand for long periods of time and read. Some people smile; some people get teary; some people are reminded of a friend or a loved one, some people feel the words on a spiritual level. Words - especially written words - are so strong. When they are written, you can read them over and over again until they become a part of you.





I was working in some small canvases (8 X 10) this week. I decoupaged some old sheet music for texture and then layered on some color. Then I pulled out my book of quotes and chose a few of my favorites. Here is what I came up with . . .




"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile - the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand".




"We are each of us Angels with only one wing and we can only fly by embracing once another."




"We all need music . . .Without it, we cannot Live."
Take some time this week to think about the words that bring you the most strength. Here's to WORDS.




No comments: